Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Camargue National Park, southern France

Yesterday I departed with Andi (my wife) to France to participate a conference on shorebirds. The few days prior to the conference was dedicated to explore the unknown areas in southern France where I had never been to. A few lifer was expected to see which I made some research for before my departure. Luckily Sébastien Durand, a French birder, helped me to locate the best places for the targeted Little Bustard. Finally all the lifers I saw was on the same place at the Airfield of Eyguiéres, just north east of Arles. We arrived in the morning time to the airfield. Immediately I found several Red-legged partridge walking in the grassy field. The first lifer. Shortly after I walked on the road just south of the airfield trying to spot feeding Little Bustards. It was almost too late to look over the field as the heat vibration was too extensive. We returned back in the afternoon and tried to find the bustards on other side of the area. While scoping the field a Southern Grey Shrike was found hunting on the northern part of the area. This is another lifer for today. After giving up waiting we jumped into the car and departed when I spotted a small flock of birds flying over the airfield. There were 25 Little Bustards flying in one compact flock. Unfortunately I could not follow them so no idea where they flew. On the other side of the airfield I walked again on the road to look for them for a possible closer view. Soon after 3 birds were flying towards me and landed nearby in the grassland. I tried to spot them without success. As closed the spot where they landed I tried to keep hided but the birds noticed me and flushed away when I aproached them by 50 meters. I could see them in detail. All the tree birds were molting. When I left the spot a hunter arrived. It is better not to think about his targets. Anyway the Little Bustard was my 2000th species I have ever seen! Later in the afternoon we spent our time in the Camargue National Park. We were driving on the eastern part of the large lagoon system down to Salin-de-Giraud. Apart from the strong wind the weather was quite pleasant. Other interesting birds seen: Greater Flamingo 270 (Camargue NP) Red-legged Partridge 11 (Airfield, Eyguiéres) Little Bustrad 28 (Airfield, Eyguiéres) Bar-tailed Godwit 2 (Camargue NP) Dunlin 90 (Camargue NP) Little Stint 30 (Camargue NP) Mediterranean Gull 1 (Istres) Sandwich Tern 3 (Camargue NP) Southern Grey Shrike 1 (Airfield, Eyguiéres) ______ Please don't hesitate to share your thoughts, feelings and comments on my blog or its content. That is very welcomed!/Kérlek ne tétovázz véleményt írni a blogomról, vagy annak tartalmáról. Szeretettel várom!

No comments: