Monday, November 19, 2007

Another New To Hungary - Upland Sandpiper Bartramia longicauda

What a fantastic week! Yesterday noontime we received another hot-line news about another MEGA species found in the Hortobágy region. An Upland Sandpiper Bartramia longicauda was identified on the puszta near Nagyiván, the southern part of the Hortobágy National Park. Today very early morning I traveled there together with some local birding friend of mine. We arrived in almost completely dark and walked to the scene. After having some decent lights we found the bird walking in the grassy areas. Later a Northern Harrier flushed it off but landed again just a few ten meters away. It was continuously feeding and allowed some very clear view. It was also visible flying over the rough road and landed on a ploughland. I could make only a few record shot which I share here. Thanks to the finders for this superb shorebird! This species became 120th shorebird species I have ever seen in the world. My World Lifers: 2002 My Hungarian totals: 334 ("A" category only) My Western Palearctic totals: 448 ______ Please don't hesitate to share your thoughts, feelings and comments on my blog or its content. That is very welcomed!/Kérlek ne tétovázz véleményt írni a blogomról, vagy annak tartalmáról. Szeretettel várom!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!
I see you got your tick. Two of them. Congratulations!
Timo

Gyorgy Szimuly (SzimiStyle) said...

Hi Timo,

Yes, I am very happy by this. Both species provided some very good view so besides the thicks it was a great pleasure spending some time out despite the long travel and so early wake up (which I hate). :)

Thanks for your comment.

BR: Szimi

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on seeing this amazing bird.
Your blog is very interesting!

Markus

Gyorgy Szimuly (SzimiStyle) said...

Thanks Markus. True, I was also happy as shorebirds are my all time favorite group of birds. Hope the list will grow soon with new species. I hope the next new one will be the Crab Plover. :))
Szimi